Nail technicians in Mississippi provide professional nail care services to their clients. These services can include manicures, pedicures, gel nails, acrylic nails, and more. In order to become a licensed nail technician in Mississippi, one must complete a cosmetology program at an accredited school and pass the state board exam. After obtaining a license, nail technicians can find employment at salons, spas, resorts, and other businesses that offer nail care services. Nail technicians in Mississippi have the opportunity to build long-term relationships with their clients and play an important role in helping them feel good about themselves. If you are passionate about making people look and feel their best, then a career as a nail technician may be the right choice for you. Take the first step toward a new career by finding a nail tech school near you in MIssissippi from our listings below
Nail Tech Schools in Mississippi
State Requirements for Nail Technician Licensing in Mississippi
- At least 17 years of age.
- Three hundred fifty (350) hours’ worth of nail tech training from a board-approved training institute.
- Mandatory license renewal every two (2) years.
How Much Do Mississippi Nail Tech Programs Cost?
When you start budgeting for a nail tech program in Mississippi, you’ll usually want to plan for $3,000 to $4,000 to cover the cost of tuition, books, supplies, and any applicable fees. You can also look into grants and scholarships to help you cover these costs. the low cost of education within the state of Mississippi means that anyone interested in learning nail care can do so without the need to break the bank.
Required Skills and Classes
A board-approved program will take 350 to complete and cover areas of study such as:
- General sciences
- Mississippi Board of Cosmetology laws, rules, and regulations
- Professional image, ethics, and conduct
- Infection control, prevention, and safety precautions
- Anatomy and physiology
- Basic chemistry and electricity
- Business skills
- Personal/individual business skills
- Salon planning and design, management, and marketing
- Nail sciences
- Nail treatments/services
- Basic and specialty manicures, pedicures
- Nail enhancements
- Nail tips, nail wraps
- Monomer liquid, polymer powder
- UV gels
- Electric nail file
- Nail polish/art/airbrushing/embellishments
State Licensing Exam
Pearson VUE is in charge of administering both the practical and theoretical examinations of the Mississippi Board.
- Practical Exam – participants will be given a total of 2 hours to complete a number of randomly selected manicurist-related skills. A $95 fee must be paid prior.
- Theory Exam – participants must answer 75 multiple-choice questions within 1 hour and 45 minutes.
How Much Do Nail Techs Get Paid in Mississippi?
The average pay rate for this profession is $32,400 annually or $15.58 hourly in Mississippi.
Does Mississippi Have Continuing Education Requirements for Nail Technicians?
No continuing education hours are required for nail technician license renewal in Mississippi.
Contact Information for Licensing Board
Questions about licensing in Mississippi? You can contact the state board using the contact information below.
Mississippi State Board of Cosmetology
Location: 239 North Lamar Suite 301, Jackson, MS 39201
Contact Form: https://www.msbc.ms.gov/contact-us/