There are many different makeup schools located in South Carolina, and all of them offer different courses and specialties. It can be a good idea to find the right school for you and apply.
Makeup schools can offer a variety of courses, from general makeup artistry to more specialized areas like hair and special effects. They also often have working professionals on staff who can teach you the latest techniques and trends. Applying to a makeup school is a great way to learn more about this exciting industry, and to get started on your career as a makeup artist.
|id||keyword||barber||cosmetology||esthetician||hair||makeup||nail||beauty||general||School Specialties||School Name||full_address||Street Address||City||State||Zip Code||plus_code||Website||Phone Number||latitude||longitude||latlong||Learning Environment||Rating||Reviews||5star||4star||3star||2star||1star||Image||Pricing||Description||hours||hours_info||Monday Hours||Tuesday Hours||Wednesday Hours||Thursday Hours||Friday Hours||Saturday Hours||Sunday Hours||Schools in This Area||Details|
|67||makeup schools near Columbia SC||0||1||1||0||1||0||1||0||Cosmetology, Esthetician, Makeup||Esthetics International||10 Clusters Ct, Columbia, SC 29210||10 Clusters Ct||Columbia||SC||29210||2VV5+7C Columbia, South Carolina||https://estheticsinternational.com||(803) 798-8611||34.04||-81.14||34.0431813-81.1414605||Beauty school||3.70||3 reviews||2||0||0||0||1||Wednesday, 9AM to 5PM; Thursday, 9AM to 5PM; Friday, 9AM to 5PM; Saturday, 9AM to 5PM; Sunday, 9AM to 5PM; Monday, 9AM to 5PM; Tuesday, 9AM to 5PM. Hide open hours for the week||Closed ‚ãÖ Opens 9AM Thu||9AM to 5PM||9AM to 5PM||9AM to 5PM||9AM to 5PM||9AM to 5PM||9AM to 5PM||9AM to 5PM|
|76||makeup schools near Columbia SC||0||0||0||0||1||1||0||0||Makeup, Nail Tech||Nail Clinic School-Manicures||1209 Blanding St, Columbia, SC 29201||1209 Blanding St||Columbia||SC||29201||2X57+8H Columbia, South Carolina||(803) 256-7095||34.01||-81.04||34.0082852-81.036058||Beauty school||4.60||10 reviews||9||0||0||0||1||Wednesday, 9:15AM to 3:15PM; Thursday, 9AM to 3:15PM; Friday, 9AM to 3:15PM; Saturday, 9AM to 3:15PM; Sunday, Closed; Monday, Closed; Tuesday, 9AM to 3:15PM. Hide open hours for the week||Closed ‚ãÖ Opens 9AM Thu||Closed||9AM to 3:15PM||9:15AM to 3:15PM||9AM to 3:15PM||9AM to 3:15PM||9AM to 3:15PM||Closed|
|82||makeup schools near Columbia SC||0||1||1||0||1||0||1||0||Cosmetology, Esthetician, Makeup||Kenneth Shuler School of Cosmetology - Corporate Office||1221 Bower Pkwy Suite 101, Columbia, SC 29212||1221 Bower Pkwy Suite 101||Columbia||SC||29212||3R9V+W3 Columbia, South Carolina||https://kennethshuler.com||(803) 798-8515||34.07||-81.16||34.0697522-81.1573355||Beauty school||3.30||7 reviews||4||0||0||0||3||Wednesday, 9AM to 5PM; Thursday, 9AM to 5PM; Friday, 9AM to 5PM; Saturday, Closed; Sunday, Closed; Monday, 9AM to 5PM; Tuesday, 9AM to 5PM. Hide open hours for the week||Closed ‚ãÖ Opens 9AM Thu||9AM to 5PM||9AM to 5PM||9AM to 5PM||9AM to 5PM||9AM to 5PM||Closed||Closed|
|268||makeup schools near Columbia SC||0||1||1||0||1||0||1||0||Cosmetology, Esthetician, Makeup||Margarette H Miller Cosmetology Center||1509 Fontaine Rd, Columbia, SC 29223||1509 Fontaine Rd||Columbia||SC||29223||3244+JR Columbia, South Carolina||(803) 786-8662||34.06||-80.99||34.0565209-80.9929718||Beauty school||3.40||9 reviews||4||1||1||1||2||. Hide open hours for the week||Temporarily closed|
|640||makeup schools near Columbia SC||0||1||1||0||1||0||1||0||Cosmetology, Esthetician, Makeup||Southeastern Esthetics Institute||1644 Main St Suite 1, Columbia, SC 29201||1644 Main St Suite 1||Columbia||SC||29201||2X57+5H Columbia, South Carolina||https://seestheticsinstitute.com||(803) 814-1772||34.01||-81.04||34.0078767-81.0360014||School||4.90||33 reviews||31||1||0||0||1||Wednesday, 8AM to 9PM; Thursday, 8AM to 9PM; Friday, 8AM to 3PM; Saturday, Closed; Sunday, Closed; Monday, 8AM to 9PM; Tuesday, 8AM to 9PM. Hide open hours for the week||Open ‚ãÖ Closes 9PM||8AM to 9PM||8AM to 9PM||8AM to 9PM||8AM to 9PM||8AM to 3PM||Closed||Closed|
|1,097||makeup schools near Columbia SC||1||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||Barber, Makeup||Your Professional Image School of Barbering||4107 W Beltline Blvd, Columbia, SC 29204||4107 W Beltline Blvd||Columbia||SC||29204||2XPV+V7 Columbia, South Carolina||https://ypischoolofbarbering.com||(803) 728-0167||34.04||-81.01||34.037221-81.006841||Barber school||4.30||33 reviews||24||4||0||1||4||Wednesday, 9AM to 9:30PM; Thursday, 9AM to 9:30PM; Friday, 9AM to 9:30PM; Saturday, 9AM to 9:30PM; Sunday, Closed; Monday, Closed; Tuesday, 9AM to 9:30PM. Hide open hours for the week||Open ‚ãÖ Closes 9:30PM||Closed||9AM to 9:30PM||9AM to 9:30PM||9AM to 9:30PM||9AM to 9:30PM||9AM to 9:30PM||Closed|
|1,239||makeup artistry classes in South Carolina||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||Makeup||Yvonne's House Of Design||7509 Garners Ferry Rd E, Columbia, SC 29209||7509 Garners Ferry Rd E||Columbia||SC||29209||X374+49 Columbia, South Carolina||(803) 695-5055||Beauty salon||34||-81||4.8||43 reviews||0||0||2||8AM to 6PM|
|1,756||makeup schools near Columbia SC||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||1||Makeup||Paul Mitchell The School Columbia||1008 Meeting St, West Columbia, SC 29169||1008 Meeting St||West Columbia||SC||29169||XWRH+9W West Columbia, South Carolina||https://paulmitchell.edu||(803) 772-2232||33.99||-81.07||33.9907371-81.0701257||Beauty school||4.20||85 reviews||60||7||2||4||12||Wednesday, 9AM to 10PM; Thursday, 9AM to 10PM; Friday, 9AM to 4:30PM; Saturday, 9AM to 4:30PM; Sunday, Closed; Monday, 9AM to 4:30PM; Tuesday, 9AM to 10PM. Hide open hours for the week||Open ‚ãÖ Closes 10PM||9AM to 4:30PM||9AM to 10PM||9AM to 10PM||9AM to 10PM||9AM to 4:30PM||9AM to 4:30PM||Closed|
|School Specialties||School Name||City||Zip Code|
Schools in This Area:
State Requirements for Makeup Artist Licensing in South Carolina
- At least 16 years old.
- Has graduated from 10th grade.
- An esthetics graduate with at least 450 hours of combined classroom and hands-on training.
- A cosmetology graduate with at least 1,500 hours of combined classroom and hands-on training.
How Much Do South Carolina Makeup Schools Cost?
The cost of your schooling depends on the type of certification you’re looking to earn. In South Carolina, the average cost of tuition for a cosmetology program is a little over $16,000, with an additional cost of around $2,000 for books and supplies. An esthetician license, on the other hand, will cost you about $8,000 for tuition and another $1,800 for books and supplies.
Required Skills and Classes
The number of hours and subjects required will depend on whether a makeup artist chooses to tackle an esthetics or cosmetology program.
- Esthetician – the Board of South Carolina requires incoming makeup artists to finish an esthetics program with 450 hours of total training which can be broken down into the following:
- Professional Practices: Sanitation and Business Practice (50 hours)
- Sciences: Skin Histology, Dermatology, and Function of Human Skin (120 hours)
- Facial Treatments: Facial Massage, Electrical Current-Facial Treatments, etc. (125 hours)
- Hair Removal: Depilatories, Tweezing, Waxing, Threading (50 hours)
- Makeup: Purpose, Effects, Supplies, Preparation, Procedures (50 hours)
- Body Wraps: Purpose, Effects, Types of Treatments, Supplies, Safety (40 hours)
- South Carolina State Law, Rules, and Regulations (15 hours)
- Cosmetology – a 1,500-hour cosmetology training program must include the following courses
- Science of cosmetology
- Personal hygiene and grooming
- Sterilization and sanitation
- Anatomy of hair, nails, and skin
- Professional ethics
- Hairstyling training
- Practice of cosmetology
- Psychology of sales
- Makeup training
- South Carolina state law, rules, and codes
- Nail technology
- Safety precautions
State Licensing Exams
The next step in acquiring the right to work as a makeup specialist requires passing a series of exams, each of which depends on the applicant’s educational attainment.
Estheticians – students of this discipline must submit an application to gain the right to take the said exams. The following are what is needed:
- Valid 2×2 passport photo
- Photocopy of an ID card (driver’s license, state ID, passport)
- Copy of a social security card
- Copy of a high school diploma
- Notarized affidavit of eligibility
- Notarized esthetics training affidavit (including enrollment and graduating dates and a breakdown of hours by subject)
- Affidavit of training completion
Theory Exam – applicants must schedule this exam with PSI services through an authorization letter. The body of the exam will be composed of concepts and practices related to the practice of esthetics such as:
- Levels of Infection
- Methods of Infection Control
- Safety Procedures
- Systems and Functions
- Integumentary System and Skin Histology
- Functions of the Skin
- Factors that Affect Skin
- Skin Conditions and Disorders
- Skin Care products
- Cleansing, Steaming, and Exfoliation
- Massage: Effleurage, Petrissage, Friction, Tapotement, Vibration, and Dr. Jacquet
- Color Theory and Makeup Application
Practical Exam – PCS will schedule this test in advance. Test takers must bring an admission letter along with their own kit and model to the venue. Participants will be evaluated based on the following tasks:
- Set Up and Client protection
- Facial Makeup
- Cleansing and Steaming the Face
- Facial mask
- Massaging the Face
- Hair Removal of Eyebrows
- Manual Extraction on the Forehead
Cosmetology – Professional Credential Services will be in charge of proctoring the exams. Examinees must register 3 weeks in advance to be eligible. To process the said registration, applicants must provide the following:
- High school diploma or transcripts showing completion of at least the 10th grade
- Affidavit of eligibility
- Cosmetology training affidavit
- Copy of a photo ID
Theory Exam – will be a written test dealing with concepts such as:
- Scientific concepts – 30%
- Infection control
- Human anatomy
- Basic physiology
- Body positioning
- Basic principles of chemistry and electricity
- Hair care and services – 40%
- Draping procedures
- Massaging, brushing, and shampooing
- Hair design principles
- Hair cutting and styling
- Wigs, enhancements, and extensions
- Chemical services analysis
- Skincare and services – 15%
- Skin histology
- Skin care consultation
- Temporary hair removal
- Facial procedures and makeup application
- Nail care and services – 15%
- Nail structure
- Manicure and pedicure procedures
- Advanced nail care
Practical Exam – participants are required to bring the own mannequin and supply. Be aware that aerosol-based products are prohibited during the exams. Examinees are evaluated based on their proficiency in performing the following services:
- Client protection and set-up
- Basic facial
- Thermal curling
- Virgin hair lightening application and hair color retouch
- Chemical waiving
- Virgin relaxer application and relaxer retouch
How Much Do Makeup Artists Get Paid in South Carolina?
Currently, the median salary for makeup artists in South Carolina is $20,932 per year according to salary.com. Makeup professionals will be glad to know that the local cosmetology industry is growing. So much so that it is estimated to grow by double figures in the next decade according to data from CareerOneStop.
Does South Carolina Have Continuing Education Requirements for Makeup Artists?
Makeup artists will need to renew their license in South Carolina every odd year by March 10th. Along with paying the renewal fee, it’s also required that they complete four hours of continuing education credits at Board-approved facilities.