Skip to content
Home » Hair Schools Near You » Hair Schools in West Virginia

Hair Schools in West Virginia

If you’re considering a career as a hairstylist, you’ll need to find a hair school in West Virginia that offers the necessary licensing requirements. Hairstyling is a great career choice for many reasons. For one, it’s a relatively stable profession with strong job growth projected in the coming years. Hairstylists also have the opportunity to be their own bosses and set their own hours.

Another benefit of being a hairstylist is that you can often find work in a variety of settings, from salons to spas to media production companies. It is an inherently creative field, allowing stylists to express their artistic side on a daily basis. If you’re passionate about hair and beauty and are looking for a stable and rewarding career, hairstyling may be the perfect fit for you.

This page will provide you with the information you need to learn the licensing requirements in West Virginia, and our database will also help you find a West Virginia hair school near you.

Hair Schools in West Virginia

State Requirements for Hairstylist Licensing in West Virginia

West Virginia has some baseline requirements for people looking to become licensed hairstylists. First, you’ll need to have a physician provide you with a Certificate of Health, proving you’re healthy enough to work as a hairstylist. Then you’ll need to find an accredited school and fill out a student registration form. Then you’ll need to complete your program, which will have 1,000 hours of instruction as per West Virginia state regulations. Once you pass your course, you will have to apply for and pass your state hairstylist exam.

Complete all of these steps and you will only have to fill out your initial license application, and once approved, you’ll be ready to work as a hairstylist in the great state of West Virginia!

How Much Do West Virginia Hair Schools Cost?

Getting your license as a hairstylist is fairly inexpensive in West Virginia, particularly if you choose the right program. The average cost, according to the website, is just over $12,000 for tuition. However, you can find some programs that are below $10,000 for tuition. You’ll also need to factor in the cost for books and supplies, which will usually tack on an additional $1,200 or so to your total schooling costs.

Required Skills and Classes

When you attend a hair school in West Virginia your program will focus on providing you with all of the skills you need to succeed working in a salon or going into business for yourself. Each program is different, of course, but you can expect to learn basic skills such as:

  • Safety and sanitation
  • Proper usage of tools
  • Hairdressing
  • Hair treatments
  • Hair coloring
  • Style selection

On top of these sorts of practical skills, you’ll also gain some professional skills and business training to help you market and run your own salon.

State Licensing Exam

Upon completing your hair school program you’ll need to apply to take the West Virginia state exams. The exams are managed through a third party, and you can find the application on the DL Roope website.

The theory exam for hair designers has 100 scored questions split into two domains. 45% of the test focuses on scientific concepts like infection control, anatomy, and chemistry. The other 55% of the exam focuses on hair care and related services – all things you will have learned in your beauty school program.

The practical exam will require you to demonstrate your skills in the following areas:

  • Client setup and protection
  • Thermal curling
  • Haircutting
  • Chemical waving
  • Hair lightening and coloring
  • Chemical relaxing
  • Performing a basic facial
  • Manicures

You’ll need to supply your own mannequin and supplies for the exam. There’s a $99 fee for the exams.

How Much Do Hairstylists Make in West Virginia? 

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics most recent data, the average annual salary for a hairstylist in West Virginia is $30,500. The average hourly pay for hairstylists is $14.66.

Does West Virginia Have Continuing Education Requirements for Hairstylists? 

Hairstylists in West Virginia need to renew their licenses each year by December 31st. Along with paying a $35 fee, hairstylists are required to complete four hours of approved continuing education credits.

Contact Information for Licensing Board

Licensure in West Virginia is handled by the West Virginia State Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists. For the latest information on licensing in the state, you can contact them directly with the following information.

Website: West Virginia State Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists
Phone: (304) 558-2924