Finding the right esthetician school is important. Not only will you learn about the different techniques and products that are available to help people look their best, but you’ll also gain hands-on experience that can’t be beat. Esthetician schools in South Dakota offer just that, and South Dakota is a great state to live in while you’re getting your education.
|id||keyword||barber||cosmetology||esthetician||hair||makeup||nail||beauty||general||School Specialties||School Name||full_address||Street Address||City||State||Zip Code||plus_code||Website||Phone Number||latitude||longitude||latlong||Learning Environment||Rating||Reviews||5star||4star||3star||2star||1star||Image||Pricing||Description||hours||hours_info||Monday Hours||Tuesday Hours||Wednesday Hours||Thursday Hours||Friday Hours||Saturday Hours||Sunday Hours||Schools in This Area||Details|
|342||nail tech schools near Watertown SD||0||1||1||1||0||1||0||1||Cosmetology, Esthetician, Hair, Nail Tech||Stewart School||604 West Ave, Sioux Falls, SD 57104||604 West Ave||Sioux Falls||SD||57104||H733+XF Sioux Falls, South Dakota||https://stewartschool.com||(605) 336-2775||43.55||-96.75||43.554982-96.746326||Beauty school||4.40||118 reviews||92||8||3||2||13||Thursday, 8AM to 8PM; Friday, 8AM to 4:30PM; Saturday, 9AM to 3PM; Sunday, Closed; Monday, 9AM to 3PM; Tuesday, 8AM to 8PM; Wednesday, 8AM to 4:30PM. Hide open hours for the week||Opens soon ‚ãÖ 8AM||9AM to 3PM||8AM to 8PM||8AM to 4:30PM||8AM to 8PM||8AM to 4:30PM||9AM to 3PM||Closed|
|380||nail tech schools near Watertown SD||0||1||1||0||0||1||1||0||Cosmetology, Esthetician, Nail Tech||Headlines Academy of Cosmetology & Massage||333 Omaha St, Rapid City, SD 57701||333 Omaha St||Rapid City||SD||57701||3QJG+PW Rapid City, South Dakota||https://paulmitchell.edu||(605) 348-4247||44.08||-103.22||44.0817044-103.2227065||Beauty school||4.20||31 reviews||23||2||1||0||5||Thursday, 8AM to 8PM; Friday, 9AM to 4:30PM; Saturday, Closed; Sunday, Closed; Monday, 9AM to 4:30PM; Tuesday, 8AM to 8PM; Wednesday, 9AM to 4:30PM. Hide open hours for the week||Closed ‚ãÖ Opens 8AM||9AM to 4:30PM||8AM to 8PM||9AM to 4:30PM||8AM to 8PM||9AM to 4:30PM||Closed||Closed|
|School Specialties||School Name||City||Zip Code|
Schools in This Area:
State requirements for esthetician licensing in South Dakota
- At least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Six hundred (600) hours’ worth of education from an esthetics program.
- Mandatory annual license renewal.
Compared to other states, South Dakota may appear sparse when it comes to opportunities within the beauty industry. However, students looking to leverage their education in this field need not look elsewhere. Below is a list of schools with some examples of costs.
- Black Hills Beauty College (Rapid City) – $5,700
- Headlines Academy Inc. (Rapid City) – $7,100
- Stewart School (Sioux Falls) – $7,400
Required skills and classes
A licensed esthetics program within South Dakota should offer 600 hours of training to educate its students in the following topics:
- Infection Control, Safety procedures, Laws and Rules (90 hours)
- Scientific Concepts, Skin Histology, Dermatology, Aromatherapy, Nutrition, Chemistry, and Physiology (90 hours)
- Skin treatments, Consultations, Analysis, Chemical Face Treatments, Electrical and Mechanical Facial and Body Treatments (240 hours)
- Massage Manipulation (30 hours)
- Makeup and Eyelash Extensions (30 hours)
- Hair Removal and Eyebrow Shaping (30 hours)
- Business Practice, Salon Management, Ethics (60 hours)
State licensing exam
Prior to admission, examinees must be able to comply with the following requirements.
- Provide esthetician schooling transcripts
- Submit a copy of your birth certificate
- Submit high school transcripts
- Submit the exam and temporary license application form
- Payment of the $80 initial license and examination fee
For out-of-state applicants, additional requirements must be such as
- Out-of-state education affidavit
- Out-of-state work experience affidavit
- Proof of original license
- Verification of passing national exam scores
Once approved, applicants must schedule their exams based on the South Dakota Commission’s Calendar.
This portion of the exam is a multiple choice, with a hundred questions, and must be completed within 90 minutes and will cover the following topics:
- Basic Sanitation and Infection Procedures
- Basic Chemistry, Anatomy, and Skin Histology
- Skin Analysis
- Facial Cleansing
- Facial Steaming
- Facial Extraction
- Color Theory and Makeup Application
- Facial Masks
Examinees will be notified two (2) weeks before the exam date. It is highly recommended that the South Dakota Practical Exam Candidate Information Bulletin be read and understood before taking this exam. A kit, along with a live model will be required to perform the following esthetics-related services which must be completed within two and a half hours (2 ½):
- Cleansing and Steaming the Face
- Set Up and Client Protection
- Massaging the Face
- Manual Extraction
- Facial Makeup
- Hair Removal
- Facial Mask
South Dakota State Laws and Rules
This portion of the exams will be composed of twenty-five (25) questions that should be completed within thirty (30) minutes.
Estheticians in South Dakota can expect an average salary of $36,380 per year or $17.49 per hour.
Continuing education requirements
No continuing education hours will be required to renew this license.