Finding the right esthetician school is important. Esthetician schools in New Mexico offer a variety of programs that can help you learn about skin care, hair removal, and more. In addition to learning about the industry, you will also have the opportunity to receive hands-on training that can help you prepare for a career in esthetics. With so many schools to choose from, it’s important to do your research to find the best fit for you.
State requirements for esthetician licensing in New Mexico
- At least 600 hours of training from an approved esthetician program.
- Yearly renewal for license holders.
Students seeking an education in the field of esthetics in New Mexico will need to spend $8,816.00 on average.
Required skills and classes
Licensed programs should have at least 600 hours of combined training in the following categories:
- Chemistry, electricity, and ethics
- Preparation for procedures
- Products and chemicals
- Sanitation and sterilization Infection control
- Anatomy and physiology
- Facial treatments
- Makeup application
- Electrical appliances
- Artificial eyelashes
- Removal of unwanted hair
- Eyelash and eyebrow tinting
- Light therapy
- Client consultation
- Salon management
State licensing exam
The next step in becoming a licensed esthetician is to get a passing score (equivalent to 75%) in the following licensure exams.
National Esthetics Theory Exams
This will test the knowledge of esthetician theory which covers the following areas:
- Scientific concepts
- Infection control procedures
- Basic human physiology and anatomy
- Skin histology and physiology
- Skin disorders and diseases
- Body hair
- Basic chemistry as it applies to cosmetic products
- Skincare and services
- Performing a client consultation and documentation
- Demonstrating that you understand these topics:
- Cleansing procedures
- Steaming procedures
- Exfoliation procedures
- Extraction procedures
- Massage movements and effects
- The use of masks
- Hair removal methods and procedures
- Makeup application principles and procedures
- Use of electrical equipment
- Basic knowledge of these services:
- Eyelash extractions
- Body treatments
National Practical Esthetician Exam
Will test the esthetician’s ability to perform the required services as well as proper waste management. Please note that examinees are required to bring their kits and mannequins to perform the said services on.
New Mexico Jurisprudence Written Exam
This is a multiple-choice type exam that covers the legal requirements as well as maintaining an esthetician license. This must be completed in 2 hours. The actual exam can be downloaded from this link while the results must be mailed via the address at the bottom of the form.
Once licensed, an esthetician in New Mexico can expect an average salary of $52,660 per year or $25.32 per hour.
Continuing education requirements
There are no continuing education hours required to renew this license.
Contact information for state licensing boards
New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department
Address: 2550 Cerrillos Road, Santa Fe, NM 87505
Email: [email protected]