Becoming an esthetician can lead to a rewarding career in the beauty industry. As an esthetician, you’ll help people feel and look their best. You’ll also get to enjoy a flexible work schedule, as many estheticians are self-employed or work in salons that offer evening and weekend hours.
If you’re looking for a career in beauty, becoming an esthetician is a great option. And if you live in Maine, there are plenty of top-notch esthetician schools to choose from.
|id||keyword||barber||cosmetology||esthetician||hair||makeup||nail||beauty||general||School Specialties||School Name||full_address||Street Address||City||State||Zip Code||plus_code||Website||Phone Number||latitude||longitude||latlong||Learning Environment||Rating||Reviews||5star||4star||3star||2star||1star||Image||Pricing||Description||hours||hours_info||Monday Hours||Tuesday Hours||Wednesday Hours||Thursday Hours||Friday Hours||Saturday Hours||Sunday Hours||Schools in This Area||Details|
|323||nail tech schools near Auburn ME||0||1||1||0||0||1||1||0||Cosmetology, Esthetician, Nail Tech||Empire Beauty School||639 Broadway, Bangor, ME 04401||639 Broadway||Bangor||ME||04401||R6FF+R5 Bangor, Maine||https://empire.edu||(207) 482-0419||44.82||-68.78||44.8245471-68.7770283||Beauty school||4.70||122 reviews||102||13||1||1||5||Thursday, 9AM to 9PM; Friday, 9AM to 4:30PM; Saturday, Closed; Sunday, Closed; Monday, 9AM to 4:30PM; Tuesday, 9AM to 9:30PM; Wednesday, 9AM to 9:30PM. Hide open hours for the week||Closed ‚ãÖ Opens 9AM||9AM to 4:30PM||9AM to 9:30PM||9AM to 9:30PM||9AM to 9PM||9AM to 4:30PM||Closed||Closed|
|652||nail tech schools near Auburn ME||0||1||1||0||0||1||1||0||Cosmetology, Esthetician, Nail Tech||Empire Beauty School||319 Marginal Way, Portland, ME 04101||319 Marginal Way||Portland||ME||04101||MP9R+5P Portland, Maine||https://empire.edu||(207) 518-7844||43.67||-70.26||43.6679521-70.258142||Beauty school||4.70||164 reviews||145||4||2||3||10||Thursday, 9AM to 4:30PM; Friday, 9AM to 4:30PM; Saturday, Closed; Sunday, Closed; Monday, 9AM to 9:30PM; Tuesday, 9AM to 9:30PM; Wednesday, 9AM to 9:30PM. Hide open hours for the week||Closed ‚ãÖ Opens 9AM||9AM to 9:30PM||9AM to 9:30PM||9AM to 9:30PM||9AM to 4:30PM||9AM to 4:30PM||Closed||Closed|
|School Specialties||School Name||City||Zip Code|
Schools in This Area:
State requirements for esthetician licensing in Maine
- Students need to invest at least 600 hours of education or 1,000 hours of apprentice hours of apprenticeship.
- Annual renewal of license.
- It takes approx. 6 months to complete a basic esthetician course. Community college $4,000 to $6,000 in tuition and fees while private schools will cost $6,000 to $12,000. In-state students will have the advantage of being charged compared to their out-of-state counterparts.
- A master esthetician course will cost twice as much compared to basic esthetician training. Private schools will typically cost more.
- Additional costs for books and other supplies will cost from $750 to $2,000.
- Financial aids from scholarships and federal loans are also available. You may contact schools individually for further details.
- Licensing fees will typically cost less than $100. Exam fees are determined individually and cost from $100 to $200.
Required skills and classes
Skincare and beauty-related services, in general, are quite ubiquitous in Maine which offers a wide range of educational programs. A typical course covers the following topics:
- Sterilization and sanitation
- Chemistry and bacteriology
- Anatomy and physiology
- Cleansing the skin
- Client preparation
- Skin treatments with and without the use of machines
- Superfluous hair removal
- Makeup techniques
- Electricity, machines, and apparatus
- Business management
- Human relations
- Testing and evaluation
- Laws and rules
State licensing exam
The written exam is 90 minutes in duration and computer-based. And will cover the following topics:
- Bacteriology and Microbiology
- Infection Control
- Disorders of the Skin
- Product Knowledge and Application
- Cleansing, Steaming, and Exfoliation Procedures
- Chemical and Physical Exfoliation
- Hair and Skin Growth
- Skin Inflammation and Pigmentation
- Skin Analysis, Consultation, Documentation, and Treatment
- Face and Body Treatments
- Body Wraps
- Lymphatic Drainage
The practical exam will take three 3 hours and will require examinees to bring their supply kit and mannequins which will be used to perform the following services:
- Set up and Client Protection
- Cleansing and Steaming the Face
- Massaging the Face
- Manual Extraction on the Forehead
- Hair Removal of Eyebrows
- Facial Mask
- Facial Makeup
- Candidate Summary and Cleanup
Estheticians in Maine will receive an annual salary of $44,700 or $21.49/hour
Continuing education requirements
0 continuing education hours are required to renew your license.
Contact information for state licensing boards
Office of Professional and Financial Regulation
Address: 35 State House Station Augusta, ME 04333-0035